Saturday, May 5, 2012

Racing for Josh


I am training to race Ironman Florida on November 3’rd to help the Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) raise awareness of its work to help families of our fallen military for very personal reasons. I am racing to honor my sibling’s best friend, brother, and hero, Pfc. Joshua Jetton. Josh gave his life in Afghanistan while protecting our freedom on June 20’th, 2011.

We love and miss Josh so much. Each one of our fallen heroes left behind someone that loved them too. The Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) is a non-profit organization that helps all those affected by their loss.

There is no way that I could ever fully give back to the families who have lost a spouse, a father, a mother, a brother, a son, a daughter, or a loved one. All I can do is the best I can to show them that I recognize the sacrifice that was made so that I can live free.

It’s about more than money or a cause. It’s about values. I’m not just racing for military families or TAPS. I’m racing for the strength of my brothers, sisters, mom, all of Josh’s family, and all of the families of our fallen heroes on a daily basis as they tell their story, as they support one another and as they honor their loved ones. Most importantly, it’s the spirit and the self sacrifice of Josh and our fallen that I will race for.




My goal is to raise $1,406 for TAPS. Not a hefty goal, but that is $10 for every mile that I will race (140.6 miles). All donations given through the Ironman Foundation will go to TAPS. Please sponsor me for a mile, or two, or ten... and help me offer hope and give back to the families of our fallen heroes.

To all those that have made a donation, on behalf of Pfc. Joshua Jetton and our fallen heroes, I sincerely thank you.

“Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends”
John 15:13

To give: Racing4Josh
To learn more about TAPS: http://www.taps.org

Toni, Me, Tom, and Josh showing some sibling love :)
We all love and miss him so much. He is a true American hero.
Not the pro athletes and movie stars that so many idolize...
But the men and women who have given their lives for our country.
♥ Always loved. Always missed. Never forgotten. ♥ 


6 comments:

  1. Feeling alive is such a great feeling. I needed boost feeling alive in my 40's and triathlon has provided it for sure. The swim scares the crap out of me, but the feeling of accomplishment is amazing.

    Cool you are racing/training for a great cause. The places the mind wanders on long rides is all over the place for me too. Mine does sometimes wander to the men and women who serve allowing me to indulge in such a time consuming hobby. Makes me feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck with IMFL! I know you will rock it. I was going to see if you were going back to Branson this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I might be back at Branson as a cheerleader for some friends!

      Delete
  3. Good for you for racing for a great cause!!! That is amazing! Wondering if you could give an update on your endo? I am a fellow sufferer, stage 4..so I am just interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie! I’m so sorry to hear that you are fighting the realities of this disease as well... As for an update - I feel pretty awesome -- the best I have felt in years. I’m on hormone therapy -- lo-seasonique -- that limits my periods to 4x a year and keeps my estrogen levels super duper low. It’s amazing, but seriously expensive (even with insurance). I DO highly recommend it though. There have been times when I’ve still gotten severe night sweats, hot flashes, and some nausea on the lo-seasonique, but it is not very often (maybe 1 week out of the month...if even that). Oh, with the lo-seasonique there is a “low” week every 3 months when you are supposed to get your period.... Ummmm, I haven’t had a period in about 6 months, even with the low weeks. I haven’t been concerned about it though b/c I know the low estrogen level is preventing the disease from growing back. If you have ANY other questions, definitely let me know! :)

      Delete