Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Bittersweet

11 more days ’til the Branson 70.3!!!! Ahhhhhhhh!!!!

I can’t believe race day is almost here. All the hard work. All the chaos. I can’t believe that I am actually doing a half-ironman. THAT is craziness, my friends. 

God, this year has been hell. Yes, I learned a lot and I’m sooooooo thankful for each experience--as painful as it all was--but dang! September last year I was having trouble moving and preparing for surgery. Then 6 months of Mr. Lou-Pron knocked me on my butt. And now, I’m doing something I never in a million years thought I’d be able to do -- a half-ironman. 

Swim 1.2 miles


Then bike 56 miles


Then run 13.1 miles



WHAT!?!?! 

I still can’t believe I’m freakin’ swimming, let alone doing the whole 70.3! Sheez! You would think that I’m over that fact by now. It’s been about 4 months since I learned how to swim. Can’t I get over it already? Ummmmmm, NOPE!  I went from barely getting my face under water to actually moving--and racing triathlons. That is insanity to me and I honestly don’t know if I’ll ever get over it. 

Training has been CrAzY, especially the past two months. My weeks have been ranging from 12-18 hours of running, biking and swimming. I’ve enjoyed every single moment of it all--even the painful, BLAH training days. Don’t get me wrong, there have been sooooo many times when I’ve questioned my abilities and whether I was absolutely mad to attempt to do something like this. There have been training sessions when I’ve wanted to quit. Like yesterday, when I started out on my 30 mile bike ride at 6AM in 48 degree weather. It was dark, cold, and...it could have just sucked. But I kept telling myself to embrace the challenge--the freezin’ cold weather slapping me in the face. Why? Maybe because I’m a little nuts, but I love taking on the rough stuff that will make me stronger and better. 

So here I am, entering my taper days before the big race. I’m getting excited, nervous, and scared to pieces for my first 70.3 race. I really have no idea what to expect. This is going to rock my world, I just know it! 

11 more days. 11 more days. 11 more days...

Until I get to live out the amazing, craziness of racing in this whole new world in honor of my amazing friend, brother, and hero Pfc. Josh Jetton. I wish he was here now, but his life and sacrifice will never be forgotten. Not a training session goes by when I don’t miss and think of him. My little bro is flying up from Florida to be there, right after he gets done with a memorial golf tournament being held in Josh’s honor.

It’s bittersweet. I’m excited about this race and doing it in Josh’s memory. It means more to me than just doing it for fun -- it is a purpose larger than myself. Me and Kevin will be wearing US military race tattoos with “gone but not forgotten” on them. It’s not just for Josh--it’s for all our men and women who have given their lives for our freedom--just a little something to honor them.

No, it doesn’t take away the pain of losing our Josh. There is still this huge massive hole in our lives. There is still an emptiness and sadness nagging at me every night when I lay still for just a moment. But somehow it helps the ache to know that I’m sharing Josh with others by racing in his honor. 

11 more days.






1 comment:

  1. You have such a tremendous heart to be doing this for Josh.

    ReplyDelete