Saturday, August 6, 2011

BIRTHDAY traditions!!!

Oh snap.

I am 28 years old today.

T-w-e-n-t-y  e-i-g-h-t!!!

Since I was 19 yrs old, I had a bday tradition of running my age in miles every year...plus one mile to grow on. Last year, for my 27’th bday, I ran 28.3 miles (can’t forget the .3!). I have always, always, always thought I would run my age ’til the year I croak over and die. I never would have thought that today...on my 28’th birthday, I’d be chillin’ by myself at the pool, reading a book, and...resting.

But I am.

Yup.

There will be no 29 mile run this year. Instead, my coach had to incorporate a better idea (well, smarter anyway) into my training for the Branson 70.3 in September. So, instead of running 29 miles today, I will be biking 112 miles tomorrow morning in Branson on the hardest half-ironman bike course in the world. Obviously, to get the distance, I am biking the course of 56 miles twice.

Why, you ask?

Well, besides the fact that we all know I’m crazy and addicted to this sport, I’m biking my age x 4 (which also happens to be the full ironman bike distance). There is a group of about 6 of us going (which is the reason I had to wait ’til tomorrow instead of my actual bday). The weather is supposed to be over 100 degrees--hot and humid--just how I like it.

I’ve been looking forward to this ride allllllllll week.

And right about now I’m ready to burst with excitement.

I’m not with my family today (they’re states away). I miss them, but it’s ok. My family always has a crazy way of making every birthday and holiday celebration off the charts fun.

Instead, I’m hanging out on my own, reading Tim Tebow’s book “through my eyes"...again (it’s awesome, by the way), and thinking of how incredibly blessed I am.

I get to ride 112 miles tomorrow with a great group!

I’m not stuck in bed in pain or getting injections for treatment.

I’m healthy.

I’m strong.

I’m happy.

Ahhhh, lake/bike helmet hair, but who cares! Thumbs up!


Today is a pretty rockin’ day...

But tomorrow is going to be even better!

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! You look fab! I know you will kick butt on tomorrow's ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl!!! I’m sooooooooo excited!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! You look amazing. Please come to NJ and train me for something...anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Michaela! You always make me smile, pretty lady! Oh, I don’t need to come to NJ! Just pick a goal...and I’ll shoot ya a plan. We could have blog workout sessions. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pschall, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! I love, love, love how you celebrated and can't wait to hear how the ride went! :)

    BTW, I freaked out over turning 28 too, but my 30's are awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Colleen! The ride was great! I’ll write a post to fill ya in. BRANSON ROCKS!

    Oh, and I can’t wait ’til my 30’s! My sis says they are the best too!

    ReplyDelete