Monday, August 1, 2011

There are no limits...

"All too often we misconstrue pain as a bad thing, while it is true that it indicates we have either physically or mentally reached our limits, it also means to push forward now will inevidably expand upon our previous perception as to what our limits actually are; or perhaps we just might prove to ourselves once and for all that we don’t have any.” 
~Dan M. --my amazing cousin who encouraged and inspired me to push on in training during sickness and treatment when others said it couldn’t/shouldn’t be done. 

I just finished up a 19 hour training week. 

That’s 19 hours of biking, running, swimming, and a little bit of conditioning. 

 AND I FEEL GREAT. 

I’m sleeping really well and eating a balanced diet to help with recovery. I’m feeling some tiredness in my legs from the 77 mile bike ride and 4 mile run that I did yesterday, but it’s only noticeable in little spurts (like the times when I’m walking upstairs). My ankle is feeling good, although I’m still wrapping and icing it (I had sprained it over a month ago and am still babying it). My energy levels are still soaring. I wake up excited to take on the day. I’m not having any bleeding or endo pain. My hips, IT band, and shoulders feel good (thanks to some deep tissue massage that worked out every little knot in my body last week). I’m somewhat surprised even on how quickly my body has been recovering from these workouts. Heck, yesterday I still wanted to run after my 4 hour ride and 30 min run. I didn’t want to stop. 

But I did, of course, because I’m being smart. I’m listening to my coach and only doing what I’m told (and not doing more when I want to). 

Which is why I’m not throwing a fit right now as I stare at my 12 hour training week. 

12 hours. 

That’s all. 

12 hours that my coach had told me to prepare for--to be ready to accept in my train-aholic crazy mindset of always wanting more....more...more. 

Ahhhhhh, 12 hours. 

It doesn’t sound so bad, but take into consideration that 7 of those 12 hours are on Sunday when I bike 112 miles around the Branson 70.3 course and then run for 40 minutes. I’m not that great at math, but I can figure out that I’m left with only 5 hours of training for the rest of this week, leading up to Sunday. 

5 hours. 

5 little hours of running, biking, swimming, and conditioning that are going to fly by because I know that on Sunday I get my glorious ride and run on the course that I will be racing in September. I say glorious because I know it will be a painful training day. It will be hot, hilly, and challenging. But it is going to make me so much stronger--both physically and mentally--to complete that ride and run. 

I know that I have a long way to go in my training, but I expect to get better every day, week, and year. My goal for Branson 70.3 is just to finish healthy, strong, and happy. Of course, just the amazing act of completing the race will make me happy. I’m still in shock that I’m doing this race. Six months ago, when I was fighting to get out of bed because of the pain and sickness, I couldn’t imagine completing a 19 hour training week and feeling great. I couldn’t even comprehend the thought of training for a half-ironman! Thankfully, I had people who believed in me and encouraged me to go forward. People who actually thought I could swim when I had a water fear. People who told me to sign up for Branson before I was able to put my head under the water. 

It’s sounds crazy, doesn’t it? 

In the past, I had set my limits in believing that I could only sit on the edge of a pool. 

Now I’m running out the door to go complete my 2500yd swim workout....as part of my little 5 hours of training this week...before I dominate a 7 hour bike ride and 40 min run on Sunday.

There are no more limits in my training--as long as I don’t set any. Others may try to put limits on what I can do, but I won’t listen to them. I know now that what seems impossible is really just a challenge to overcome. It’s the same thing with all of life--pour the heart into it, refuse to quit, and remember that what may seem crazy now is really just another level of reality waiting to be reached. 

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for the nice compliment on my page. I am doing my best to be an active participant in life and really work past my own self imposed limitations. You are such an inspiration to me in so many ways. I love to read about your accomplishments especially know what the endo illness does to us. You rock, sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this " I’m feeling some tiredness in my legs from the 77 mile bike ride and 4 mile run that I did yesterday..."

    You don't say?!

    I agree. There are no limits, or limitations, or excuses. Get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are AWESOME!!

    Also I notice that you post and then I guess remove the post. I hope it's not because you feel you shouldn't post. You should never censor yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the encouragement!

    Michaela, I am so guilty of posting and removing! Especially lately! I have a bunch of “drafts” that I’ve removed due to some happenings in life. The situation is over and gone, but it has made me self-concious with every little thing I post now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a nut my friend! Ha! What I wouldn't give to be as badass as you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) I love it! The only limits are those that you set on yourself! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SIF- you ARE a badass! I think anyone living in Alaska is a badass. Ha

    Thanks Colleen! Keep on rockin' it too, girl!

    ReplyDelete