Friday, July 15, 2011

Life after Lupron

I ran a little over 13 miles today and it was soooooo easy. I didn’t have to push at all.

You know what else?

I sleep through the nights now. I eat any thing that I want without getting sick (although my diet choices swing on the healthy side quite a bit anyway). I wake up energized. I don’t have crazy, emotional crying outbursts. I’m not in pain. My skin is healthy again. My hair isn’t falling out in clumps. My boobs are back to a DD cup. My body feels strong. I don’t have anymore hot flashes. I don’t have anymore bone pain. I finally, finally, finally feel like myself again.

My last dose of Lupron was just over 12 weeks ago on April 11’th. The treatment was hell. I don’t want to make it sound bad, but there is no other way to put it. Lupron sucked.

It was like a really bad nightmare that I couldn’t wake up from. I spent so many days and nights throwing up, isolated in bed, and in pain. On top of the physical sickness, my emotions were out of whack. I wasn’t myself at all. I could tell that I was off. I knew it was my hormones being jacked up, but it’s hard to make sense of everything when going through it. I was a mess. A crazy mess.

BUT IT WAS WORTH IT.

Huh??!??!

I know that so many people are anti-Lupron and I can understand why. I would never, ever want someone close to me to have to go through this sickness and treatment. It would break my heart to see loved ones hurt like I did.

It IS a horrendous drug. It DOES make you emotional, sick, and irrational at times (ok....maybe most of the time). You will hate the treatment. You will hate the way it makes you feel.

But now that it’s over...

I haven’t felt this good in years.

I’m not saying Lupron is the answer because it’s not. I’m still having problems with bleeding now that I am off of it. I stopped the drug in April. I got my period again in mid-June. It is now mid-July and I have been bleeding for about 15 of the last 27 days. The pain is ok though. I’ve had some times of cramping and heavy bleeding (sorry for the vivid description, but it comes with the blog title), but the period cramps are NOTHING compared to the endo pain I used to get.

So yes, things aren’t as perfect as we thought a few weeks ago, but that’s ok.

I’m off the Lupron and I’m feeling better. Much better. My experience was hellish. If you are one of the few who followed along with me on this crazy journey, you know what I mean. I have posts about extreme pain, motherhood (nothing makes a girl rethink her life plans when told she might not be able to ever have a child), emotional outbursts, heart ache, menopause, prayer, and drama, drama, drama. The last 10 months of my life have been insane. The endo and Lupron have played a big part in all that--I can’t deny it.

BUT...

I’m healthy. I’m happy. And I’m racing a half-ironman in 2 months.

Life after Lupron is going pretty dang well.

9 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completey understand all you describe with the Lupron! I am so glad to hear how well you are feeling now x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know you personally, but I think what you are doing is awesome. Your story is amazing and its so great for people who may not know about or misunderstand this disease to put a human face on it. Lupron sucks and that we've had to take it sucks - my marathon during lupron was so special to me because it was SO hard to train. i've always been an athlete - competitive swimmer in my younger days - and running is very hard, doesn't come naturally. I started about 3 years ago and love it - even when i hate it i love it :0) No way in hell am i going to let endo take it away from me!
    Good luck with your training - and thank you for putting yourself out there with your very personal story. I know you've helped others and will continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am delighted to read this! I truly am! I am so glad you got through the Lupron Hell and are on the other side. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies! I’m beyond thrilled to have made it past the Lupron Hell too. Thanks for all your encouraging comments, e-mails, and prayers through the months!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I just found your blog today and I am so happy. I just went through Lupron as well, and I had a similar experience (i.e. emotional wreck). But I had a question. I finished my Lupron in July, then I got my first period at the beginning of September. However, i am now 6 days late with just a bit of spotting. Did you get your second period on time?
    Thanks so much for sharing your story. It's always nice to not feel alone anymore.
    --Eva

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Eva!! Thanks for the comment and question. :-) Are you on a BC? I got put on Seasonique right when I started my first period after Lupron. My last of the shots was in April. My first period started on June 19’th (morning of my first relay triathlon so I remember! ha). With the Seasonique, I only get my period 4x a year--so every 3 months. I had some bleeding for the first couple of months even on the pill, but none of the endo pain. It was just annoying more than anything. I was training like a crazy person during that time so my body was a little worn out as well. My second period started on September 18’th (date of my first ironman triathlon. haha). I had a good period for my second time. It lasted about 4 days. I had cramping, but no pain. So I guess my answer in this loooong rambling is that I am on time with my period because of the BC. I’m hoping that the Seasonique keeps things rolling well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I began my Lupron Depot March 2013. 6 month treatment and it honestly saved my life! I was in constant pain. Cramps every day. It controlled my life. I couldn't get out of bed, live a normal life. The first month of Lupron was ruff. I had night sweats, body aches, hot flashes. Folowing months I felt great! No period, no cramping. I am now a month off Lupron and my Dr put me on birth control and I am miserable again with cramping and bloating. I also got my first period since being off Lupron and I am 4 days in and bleeding super heavy, and passing a lot of clots. I have also never had cramps quite this bad. I am feeling dizzy and faint. I have read lots of reviews about Lupron being a awful drug, but for me it saved my life! Wish I could have gone on it longer. I go back to the Dr. in 3 months and I am going to ask for a stronger dose of Birth Control. Maybe the Seasonique as well. I don't want my period anymore, but am hopeful to get pregnant in next year. Only thing I can do right now to subside the pain :(

    ReplyDelete