Saturday, July 30, 2011

Blast from the past

I had just finished running close to 15 miles yesterday...when I spotted my ex. Sweaty, sunburned, and smelling like chlorine still (I can’t get rid of the pool smell despite the many scrub downs), I had stopped in the gym to get some water. There he was with his mom, visiting from Florida. The two of us didn’t have the best of an ending with our relationship. Don’t worry, I’m not going to go into detail on the who, why’s, and what’s of the past break up. I’ve learned my lesson on speaking bad about others and rambling online when I shouldn’t. But I will say that it was a nice encounter. 

Yup. Nice is a good word for it. 

He walked to the other side of the gym to greet me. I admit it was a little weird at first. He’s married now. I knew this through mutual friends, but the two of us haven’t talked for years. We shared small talk for a bit. The awkwardness wore off some in the chit chat. Then, just as quickly as it began, the talking ended and he went on his way.

And left me thinking.

Of course. 

It’s a great thing to run into someone that I was once in love with--someone that was at one time ready to spend their life with me--and not feel anything but pure happiness. Maybe I was still on a runner’s high when I saw him, but I couldn’t help but smile when hearing about everything going on his life and how great he is doing. 

I was reminded of how hardships, illnesses, losses, obstacles, and heartache make us stronger. How what  may seem like the end of the world is really just a new beginning. And when those that we love leave, more room is made for others to come into our lives. 

I started writing this post talking about an old break up, but thinking of all the times I had the wrong perspective in a difficult situation. I am usually a pretty positive person, but it’s not always easy to see the good when going through the tough times. Sometimes the best I can do is just trust. Trust that whatever it is that I may be facing in life--an illness, injury, or even a broken engagement--God’s got it all figured out already.

I’m in a great season in life right now. I’m off the Lupron, fully recovered, and getting stronger every day. I am finishing up 18+ hours of training this week (after my 4 hour ride and 30 min run tomorrow...woot woot!). I’m single and grateful that I get to spend so much time training when all my friends are busy with husbands and kids. I’m doing what I love. I’m incredibly blessed and happy.

I don’t know what tomorrow holds, but God’s got it. He’s got me. And that thought makes me smile. 

4 comments:

  1. I love this post. It reminded me of this quote:

    "To learn something new, take the path that you took yesterday." - John Burroughs

    It's amazing to revisit the past and to find that you've grown stronger and wiser. It's hard to regret the past on those ocassions because they were so character defining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In looking back you see the person you used to be and the person you've become. It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great way of looking at things. That positive attitude will take you far. Great job on the long bike and run!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that quote, Jendo! Thanks for sharing!

    Michaela, it is pretty incredible, isn’t it? It’s a good feeling to see growth in our lives. :-)

    KC, thanks for the encouragement! I love reading your blog on all your training. Keep kicking butt!

    ReplyDelete