Saturday, April 9, 2011

Keep on hoping! Keep on running!

Wednesday, S and I biked for 4 hours in the windy weather for fun. I can’t even tell you how happy it makes me to have someone along during my crazy runs and rides now. Especially someone that is pretty darn cute, super athletic, and a good kisser.

Mmmmm-hmmmmmm.

We planned on riding 70 miles, but our mileage got cut down to 49 when the wind slowed me down. Yes, it was just me who was moving along at a snail’s pace. S could have done twice the mileage than me.

Yesterday, he brought up how we have only known each other for 2 months. It is crazy how much life can change in 2 months, isn’t it? I went from pushing through pain to feeling healthy again. Each and every day I am amazed at how good I feel. I love being able to eat and sleep, to live without hurting and being stuck in bed.

I love being able to go out with friends, run, and ride for miles.

Ya know what?

I could get used to this. I could do this forever. This living life thing. It’s pretty incredible, isn’t it?

It makes me think of the many times have I complained about insignificant things in the past. Things that don’t really matter--like the weather being too cold or hot, the grocery store line being too long, or maybe waking up before the crack of dawn. I’ve even complained of too much homework and not enough time. It just seems stupid when it comes down to it.

How many times did I fail to see how blessed that I am to be able to just LIVE? To be able to move without pain. To eat and sleep and just BE.

How many times have I missed the moments I’ve been given because I’m too caught up in the things I don’t have?

Too many to count.

It’s crazy how sick times in life make me appreciate the healthy days more. I read an article this week about Padma Lakshmi, the top chef star who battled endometriosis. Something she said really hit me.

"I didn’t know how much pain I was in until I wasn’t in pain anymore”. 

That is EXACTLY how I feel. I didn’t realize how bad this disease is until recently. I KNEW it hurt like hell--I felt it. But I didn’t realize just how horrible it is until I started feeling better.

I don’t know if that makes sense. I guess what I’m saying is that I had gotten so used to the pain that I didn’t realize just how bad it had gotten. I forgot what it feels like to live without hurting.

Do you know what else I did this week?

I went to softball games and dinner. I went on a trip to Eureka Springs for fun. I ate good food and laughed ’til my abs hurt. I went on a ride on S’s motorcycle.

I have had so much fun being able to just live life to the fullest--the way it should be. It’s what we all deserve. Every woman who is battling endometriosis or some other chronic illness that others snub and shrug off as a “female issue”. Every woman who has been forced to live in silent hurt, not knowing what to do or who to turn to for help. We deserve to live, laugh, and HOPE.

We still have the Hope 2 Endure site running. I’m still running as well! We don’t get very many donations, but whatever does come, goes directly to the Endometriosis Research Center. I think, more than anything, at least our stories are out there. We might not be raising much, but we are speaking out. We aren’t being silent about a disease that has robbed the life and happiness from so many. 

Tomorrow, I will run the Hogeye Marathon in Fayetteville, Arkansas. I’m super excited and beyond thankful to God for the opportunity to run. God is so good. So faithful.

Keeping hoping, ladies. Keep sharing your stories. NEVER, EVER GIVE UP. Keep fighting for awareness. Keep fighting for our cause. 

I’m off to more softball games, the marathon expo, a 3 mile jog to keep my legs moving before the race, and maybe I will even get to steal some more kisses.


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so awesome... I LOVED that article you posted, by the way. That line stood out to me, as well. And to be honest, it took my breath away. You are such a blessing to me, girl-- keep on keepin' on; you give me more hope than I could ever ask for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, I just found your blog through some endo searching. I'm a fellow endo sufferer....and just wanted to say Hi!
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete