Monday, April 11, 2011

Hogeye Marathon & last dose of Lupron

I did it.

I ran the Hogeye marathon yesterday. It was hot. It was windy. It was amazing.

The conditions of the race were insane. It was poorly put together. There were not enough aid stations (from mile 12 to 19, there was only 1) and the aid stations that were around...ran out of water. YUP. How on earth do you run a marathon in 87 degree weather without water? 

I had a little help. Actually, I had a lot of help. 

At the beginning of the race, around mile 3, I started to set into my steady pace with those around me. There was a couple, Josh and Kristin, who I started talking to (With 4 hours of running, I make friends with those around me!). The guy was a pro runner, sponsored by a popular shoe brand. His wife was more in my category--not a pro. They didn’t have race bibs or chips on because they didn’t officially register. They were just in town and decided to make it a training run for the Oklahoma City marathon in 3 weeks. The plan for Kristin and Josh was to just run 20 miles and then be good. BUT that’s not what happened. 

Instead, we all ran together. Well, Kristin and I ran together while Josh held our waters, carb packs, and anything else. In a race where the aid stations were few and far between, they were both a God send. Josh would run to the next station ahead of us or fall back to the previous station, fill his arms full of cups and gel packs, then run back to Kristin and I. 

It was incredible. 

At about mile 16, I took off my shirt so that I could just run in my sports bra. I was inhaling every ounce of liquid that I possibly could, but salt was covering my skin and I was extremely hot. As I was running along, with my soaked and salty shirt in hand, Josh grabbed it from me. YUP. This man, who I didn’t know at all before Sunday, was not only encouraging me...but carrying my water, gel packs, and...shirt.

Around mile 20, Kristin slowed to a jog/walk. I was the only one with a timing chip out of us all, so I had to keep on running to keep my time down. 

And Josh went with me. 

It got hilly and more windy towards the end, so he ran in front of me and blocked the wind. YUP. 

At one point, Josh looked back at me and laughed because I look up at the sky at times when I run. As weird as it may look, I pray a lot when I run....and for some strange reason, I tend to look up. He said, “Most people look down. I’ve never seen someone look up so much when they run”. What can I say? I’m a strange cat, but I know where my energy source and hope comes from. 

Josh ran me to the finish line then went back and ran his wife to the finish line too. How awesome is that? I think I might go to Oklahoma City in 3 weeks and run their marathon too. 

So, I ran 26.2 miles yesterday and I didn’t stop to walk once (except when I attempted to use the bathroom--but found I was too dehydrated to pee. Yes, I just wrote that on my blog). 

AND TODAY, I GOT MY LAST DOSE OF LUPRON! 

6 months of shots--finally done! 

I don’t know what the future holds. I don’t know how I’ll feel in a few months. I don’t know if there will be pain or not. But I DO know that this is the best I have felt in years and I’m thanking God for it. 

After my injection this morning, I stayed in bed. I’ve slept all day...and I’m getting ready to sleep some more. Tomorrow, hopefully, I will be back on my feet again. 

Thank you, God, for getting me through this physical and emotional marathon....one step at a time. 






2 comments:

  1. Well done girl! Josh and Kristin sound fab and how great of him to help you out! I am so glad you have now had your last dose of lupron onwards and upwards x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this story! And seriously - is Josh like a superhero or something?!? Ha! It sounds like he totally saved the day!

    ReplyDelete