Saturday, February 12, 2011

18 mile run - done!

Well, I made it.

Kevin and I ran 18 miles today. The snow and ice made it too hard for us to run outside, especially on the country roads--where the plow still hasn’t visited. So we were forced to hit the treadmill.

18 miles on a treadmill feels like eternity. It gets boring. Plus, the nausea from the Lupron was incredibly intense. I threw up around mile 10, but that was just one time.

In the middle of mile 16, the pain hit me like a huge freight train. I felt sharp stings around my ovaries, right rib cage, lower back, and hip flexors down to my thighs. It was so intense with each step that I began to hunch over. I realized that if I kept jogging, even slowly, that I would collapse. I slowed to a walk and finished out the last bit.

I  let go of my pride and the urge to push past the pain with a sprint. I was slow, but I made it to the end.

Kevin and I after the 18!

After I was done, my insides felt like they were convulsing. By the time we got to the house, I was done. The nausea was so intense I was afraid to shower. The sharp twisting was tearing me apart. I did make it to the shower just enough to rinse off. Soon after, my whole body began to shake. I was freezing and in pain. After bundling up under my comforter, the tremors continued. 

I fell asleep shaking. When I woke up, the pain had let up. The nausea was fading. 

I ate a cinnamon roll, easy mac, and green beans. Yes, seriously. Food that I wouldn’t have touched before the Lupron (except for the green beans) have become my cravings. I’ve learned to eat whatever I can on this drug. I can’t afford the loss of calories when I try to eat healthy because nothing stays down. 

Now, I’m back in bed with the ice packs on my core. I’m doing ok. Exhausted and hurting, but happy that I finished the run. The Little Rock marathon is 22 days away...almost there!



5 comments:

  1. Proud of you lady! You are my hero!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing! I don't think I could have done it. I use the slightest discomfort to bail on my workouts. 18 miles on a treadmill is amazing even if you aren't in pain. When the weather gets bad around here I have to put my bike on a trainer to get my workouts in so I know how much harder it is to be "stationary" instead of out on the street. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I was happy I biked 3 miles today. One day, I'm hoping I'll be able to do 18!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the encouragement! It was definitely a challenge to run in one place for that long!

    Barbara, you will knock out those 18 miles on the bike soon enough--just keep at it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing, to push to try this hard with all of that pain. Doing 18 miles when your body hurt that bad, thats impressive but I really hope that you don't beat yourself up to much and try to rest and relax. Praying for you,

    ReplyDelete