Sunday, January 23, 2011

Pulled pork, fried okra, and green tea

My sis and I had a little bit of a foodie adventure yesterday. After I struggled through 14 miles of running, ate a ton of pasta, and rested, we headed out to Fayetteville. There isn’t much around here, but I wanted her to see my university, the college town, and all that jazz.

Arkansas is so different from Queens, NY, so it’s really fun to me to hear her laugh at some of the country experience. Like when we are driving down the road and there is a church between every house....or mobile home.

Or when she exclaimed in excitement how the Sonic’s are so “fancy” because they have a lot of areas to park and order (she has only seen one in NY that just had a single drive-thru). Every time we pass a Sonic now, she goes, “ohhhhh, fancy!” and laughs. Then we talk about how gross the food is there from what we see on the commercials. Food that our grandma wouldn’t recognize because of how processed and ridiculous it is.

And then when she found out that I live in a dry county, where we can’t buy liquor. So if we wanted to get a bottle of wine or a beer (even tho both of us barely drink so the fact that we were discussing this as a “dilemma" was hilarious in itself), we would have to go to the next county...or state.

Oh, and when Nee dressed in Razorback red sweats and tried to call the Hogs with one arm we almost died laughing. It was all pretty stinkin’ cute. She giggles at all the fun country slang too. And her laughter on everything makes me happy.

So, yesterday, we ventured down to Dickson street, which is a road right near the university that has a few fun looking clubs, restaurants, and stores for visitors and students. Our goal was to go to a coffee shop that I love for the location and atmosphere, along with some good drinks and food. But before we got to the coffee shop for our sweet green tea, we hit up the frozen yogurt joint. It was all pretty heavenly.

Renee showing her toppings
with her royal cuteness xoxo

I was so much happier than I look!
After our sugar rush and relaxing over green tea, we hit up some country barbecue at Sassy’s. My appetite has been awesome the past couple of days and I’ve been able to eat without throwing up (um, which is always a plus when training for a marathon). It helps to have my sis and other people around me because I have to force myself to eat or move even when I don’t think I can. However, I definitely didn’t need to force myself to eat some Sassy’s.

Nee!
So, there we were, eating pulled pork, chicken, fried okra, mac n’ cheese, cole slaw...and waffle fries. “Bad” foods that my sis and I wouldn’t normally eat, but enjoying ourselves even more because of it. That’s the best thing about sisters who are your closest friends, ya know? You can do anything together, no matter how random it might be, and have the most fun in the world.

With my sis
When we got home, we both crashed on the couch to watch a couple of movies. My pelvis and hip bones were stinging at this point. The pain and pressure were creeping in, but I didn’t care. Let the Lupron side effects shake me. Let the 14 miles cause me pain. Let the “bad” southern food sink in. It was all worth every bite and every step. And every laugh of my cute, older sis.

This morning, I’m debating on church. Do we push our bodies and get out again? Or do we rest up and recover before venturing out? Why is it that we have to worry about moving without pain when we are both so young?

As I deal with endo and Lupron, my sister battles Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia. My amazing, intelligent, and beautiful sister is giving her all to overcome diseases that no one understands as well. She is a successful college professor and writer, inspiring others with her story of perseverance in life. And she is my hero.

I love, love, love being able to have her for the week as we endure, hope, and laugh through the hard times together.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you have your sis with you for the week!! Looks like a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear you are enjoying your week with your sister. Just wondered if she has ever had a lap to check for endo? CFS and fibro are both usual in endo sufferers.

    One more thing. You can't buy alcohol?! Are there bars/clubs? Is this normal for area's in america? I don't mean to sound ignorant but I am now intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonics ARE fancy! As fancy as it gets!! I miss them desperately since they aren't up here in AK! ;)

    ReplyDelete