Friday, January 28, 2011

Lupron progress

I am in my third month on the drug Lupron while training for the Little Rock marathon on March 6’th. I have never had such a difficult time running in my life, but I’m getting better every week. 
The good days outnumber the bad days by far. The bone pain and nausea are less intense. The insomnia and fatigue can get me down emotionally, but it’s nothing compared to the pain I used to get. The hair loss, hot flashes, skin issues and moodiness from the shots are just...annoying. I  have been eating just about anything I could keep down to get the calories needed for training, but a diet of sugary sweets and gingerale must come to an end sometime, right? Actually, I’m doing so well the past 2 weeks, I think I might be ready to throw away the animal crackers and liquorice. Oh, happy day!
I’ve got 3 more months of shots, 5 more weeks of training before the race, and a whole lot of support from those who love me. I can’t wait to cross the finish line this time.
"Now faith is confidence in what we hope for 
and assurance about what we do not see.” 
Hebrews 11:1
Tomorrow, I have a 16 mile run....

Oh, Lord, have mercy. 

8 comments:

  1. Just wondering are you taking calcium supplements while doing Lupron?

    I am sure you will get through your 16 miles tomorrow one way or another!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl. I’m taking Bone-up Ultra, calcium+D, GNC women’s ultra mega multi, Omega’s, evening primrose oil, MSM, B-6, B-12, and vitamin C. I take the supplements 2x a day with meals so I get to split them up. Oh, I am also taking soy-free remifemin and st. john’s wort to help with the moodiness (and the remifemin has helped tremendously with the hot flashes...i think!). I’ve tried to cut down as much as I can on pills, but those are the ones I’ve stuck with for the past few months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only mentioned it as I didn't know that I needed them when I was on Lupron. It is amazing sometimes what doctors don't tell you.

    Good luck on your run today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh ok. I didn’t know if you were wondering on what supplements might be good to take. ha. I guess I didn’t need to list my crazy amount.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You never know who may be reading and how you may have now helped them. Knowledge is power!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I got my first shot of lupron this week. My doctor gave me Citracal as a supplement 1200 calcium per day. I am also going to start taking a dietary supplement for hair (GNC Ultra Nourish Hair). It has 1200 mcg of biotin, 500 Mgs of MSM and 800 Mgs of amino acid complex. My question is how bad is the hair loss? When does it start? Am I protected for bone loss using calcium supplement? I see this post was almost a year ago and I would like to know if you are doing better and side effect free. I am starting to execise little by little, because I had a laparoscopy 2 weeks ago. I appreciate your help and hope you are doing well. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon - hey, so glad to hear that you started out taking supplements too. I hope you have a speedy recover with no pain. The hair loss started a month or so in, I believe. My blog documented a lot of everything. I took the bone up supplements from the get go and continue to do so - even tho it's been over 8 months since ending treatment. As of today, no pain, no crazy bleeding, and I feel the best I have in years. I am on lo seasonique to control any abnormal bleeding. I did have a good amount of time when the bleeding came back, but it's better now. I honestly have not felt this good in a long time. Wishing you the best, girl! Let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me at Patricia.Schaller@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete