Friday, January 21, 2011

14 miles with a whole lot of lovin'

I woke up at about 3:30 this morning with hot flashes. I didn’t want to wake my sister, who was sleeping beside me. I grabbed my MacBook and headed for the living room, thinking I’d Facebook and pray to fall back asleep soon.

2 hours later, I’m still awake, dreaming once again of doing an Ironman someday.

2.4 mile swim + 112 mile bike + 26.2 mile run in a 17 hour time limit

Is it possible?


"‘If you can’?” said Jesus. 
“Everything is possible for one who believes.” 
Mark 9:23



Maybe God will allow me to fulfill that dream, someday.  


For now, my focus is on my long run coming up this Saturday. 


14 miles. 


My mileage has slowly been increasing. 8, 10, 12, with a few 3,5,6’s peppered in between. I have been gaining strength and endurance in my training. It has been a struggle. Some days I can’t eat. Most nights I can’t sleep. The fatigue and bone pain have hit me pretty bad.


But Kevin is still running, training, and pushing. 


Kevin after a work out today


When I see him enduring and overcoming, I know that I can too. 


He went from my client to my teammate and brother. We do all our runs together. He pushes me like I used to push him. On the days when I start crying on the treadmill, he lifts his fists up in the air in victory, telling me that I can do it. During the moments when fatigue overwhelms me and pain grabs my core, he tells me to slow down, “It’s distance, not speed”. “Slowly, but surely, we will finish”. His words echo my own, 4 months ago when I was pushing him to endure. 


August 27’th, 2010


There are times I want to quit. My body aches and my heart is down, but Kevin keeps encouraging me. “We’ve got this! We are going to do this marathon together. We aren’t leaving one another behind!”. 


And then there’s Kim, his wife, who is a woman with a heart of gold.


Once my client, now my best friend. On the days when I am sobbing, she holds my heart close. At the times when I have fallen, she picks me up and dusts me off. She tells me to get back up and try again. “You’ve come so far already. You can do this”. 


I never would have imagined that the clients I met years ago in a private gym would become my family and support during the hard times. I had no idea that God was orchestrating a precious relationship back then. Even when I moved back to AR in late June of 2010 to train the family, I had no clue. 


with kim and kevin over christmas




This weekend, Kevin is running a half-marathon in Florida. I won’t be running with him, of course. I’ll be in Arkansas catching up on my sister time with Renee. And running my 14 miles on Saturday, alone on a treadmill (if I could melt the ice and make the run a little more adventurous, I would be happier. But the T-Mill will have to do for now). 


14 miles. 


14 miles. 


We’ve got this. 








2 comments:

  1. Good Luck with your run. Doing an Ironman is on my list of things to do. I've got the swim and the bike down. It's the run that I'll struggle with. I have major ADD when it comes to running.

    I have a friend headed to Florida this weekend for a half-marathon. I wonder if it's the same one your friend is going to. It's her first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much SurlyMama! What Ironman are you hoping for? Oh, Kevin is running the clearwater half on Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete