Sunday, December 12, 2010

Work in Progress

I remember three years ago when my doctor first told me about Lupron, and how he made it sound like a cure. I researched the drug and brought to him my concerns. His response was that only the few who had bad experiences with the Lupron took the time to complain about it.

Dr. G said, “All the women who get better and get on with their lives are too busy being happy to write bad reviews on Lupron”.

I wanted to be like those busy, happy women who went on with their lives. I wanted to have the endometriosis taken out. I wanted to get the injections. I wanted to get rid of the pain and forget about it forever. So I did everything that Dr. G told me to do.

I had the surgery. I tried the Lupron. And I tried to forget about endometriosis. I fought to get back on my feet. I pushed to get stronger. And I barely mentioned the disease that plagued my insides. I didn’t know anyone with endometriosis and I didn’t care to know.

I just wanted to get on with my life like the women who don’t write reviews online.

Three years later, I’m still in pain. How is this possible?

I had another surgery. I’m back on the Lupron. But I’m NEVER going to forget about endometriosis. I am going to fight like hell so that no one else forgets about this disease as well.

I’m going to get stronger. I’m going to endure and get better. But I’m not going to forget those that are in pain when I have good days. I’m not going to stand by in shame, suffering in silence from this disease.


I’m going to do everything that I can to raise awareness and funds for research for a cure. I’m going to talk about the damage and pain caused by this mysterious, horrible illness. I’m going to speak up so that other young girls and women will know that they are not alone.

Dr. G may be right about these busy, happy women who defeat endo with surgery and Lupron (although I have a sneaky suspicion that his words are false). It might be true that some women are able to defeat endo and infertility with the simple “treatments” offered.

But for goodness sake, if you got better from a disease that millions are suffering from, speak up. Give hope to the millions of us who are in pain daily. Raise awareness, spread encouragement, and remember.


I’m working with my friend, Jane Kupkowski, to get a fundraising site put together to benefit the Endometriosis Association as we run, bike, and swim for a cure. It is a work in progress, but it should be up and running very soon.

Jane is running the Great Wall of China Marathon for Endometriosis research. I can’t do much right now, but as soon as I can, I will run for Endometriosis as well. I’m determined to make a difference by fighting for hope with the millions of women around the world.








5 comments:

  1. I still have yet to find anyone for whom Lupron was any kind of a cure either. It seems like it reduces pain for a lot of women, but not without side effects of its own. And as soon as Lupron is discontinued, the endo returns... No good. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your strength and your courage. Your determination is inspiring. I pray for cure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is inspiring. You make me feel brave and strong. You make me want to fight right along with you (without the athlete part of it!).

    Once again, you're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SIF, I agree it is no good. I’m still having pain plus the side effects, but it has only been two shots so far. Maybe next month...

    That Girl With Endo, I miss your comment! i hope you are feeling better tonight. Praying for you, hon.

    Michaela, thank you so much. The encouragement and support helps a ton!

    ReplyDelete