Friday, December 10, 2010

Maybe

Maybe...

If you tried...

What so and so did...

Then the disease would go away.

Maybe...

If you let go...

And had more faith...

Then God would heal your pain.


Maybe...

If you never...

If you always...

If you just...

Then you wouldn’t hurt this way.

Maybe...

If you ate...

If you took...

If you got...

If you tried...

If you didn’t think...

The list goes on and on. Words from others that were well-meaning, but not meaning anything. I try to be patient. I try to be nice and listen to their advice on a disease that I am living with and they know nothing about.

But maybe people should think a little bit more before they speak.

Maybe...

If they researched...

If they understood Endometriosis...

If they knew what caused it to grow...

If they knew how to diagnose it without surgery...

If they could comprehend the reason it causes pain...

If they could reverse all the damage to my female parts...

If they could give pregnancy and life to a broken, barren womb...

If they were able to figure out how to stop the endometrial tissue from growing outside my uterus...

Without injecting me with a drug that breaks my body down...

Without cutting, burning, and ripping out my insides...

Without making me feel like less of a woman...

Without dismissing my pain...

Then maybe...

Their words would offer some kind of comfort and hope in the suffering.




"If you were in my shoes, 
   I could talk just like you.
I could put together a terrific harangue 
   and really let you have it.
But I'd never do that. I'd console and comfort, 
   make things better, not worse!”

~Job 13 

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if, "I love this," is the right thing to say, considering the topic... but I'm sure you understand what I mean.

    Sometimes I feel like an awful person for taking solace in the fact that people understand this pain; that there are others in the world that know what it's like.

    I'm sure you understand that too.

    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing this post. I have just read this at the most perfect time. It was as if you wrote it for me. I hope you know what I mean. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete