Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Hope...even now

A few months ago, I had heard about Micayla Patterson, the 17 yr old girl from one of the local high schools who was killed in a car accident while driving home from the Tulsa John Mayer concert. The news was very sad to me, but it didn’t hit close to home, until tonight. 


Tonight I heard Micayla’s mother speak of losing her only daughter and best friend instantly. I saw her tears and grief as she shared her story in front of hundreds of women at my church. She was broken and weak, yet standing strong in her faith. Despite the enormous loss in her life and heart, this mother shared the hope within her. It was heartbreaking, but I couldn’t help but think the whole time about how strong she was in the pain. 

Micayla and Becky Patterson 

I can’t help but want more of the hope that Becky Patterson talked about. I want to overflow with the joy of the Lord, even in the darkest of nights. I want to trust God even when my world is shattered. I want to be able to stand on His promises, believing that He will get me through. I want faith that is strong. I want to believe God is good, always. I don’t want to lose hope when the pain knocks me down more. 

Becky said something tonight that I could especially relate to. She said there were nights when she could feel the Lord’s arms picking her up and holding her. I know that there is nothing like the Lord holding you close. So close that it is hard to deny His love. So close that the pain almost fades completely away in the background. 

It is at the moments of pure brokenness when I feel most loved by the Lord. When everything has been stripped away, I know He is still with me. For if God abandoned me, then all would be lost. I wouldn’t be able to go on without His hope and love. 

Thank God that He will never leave me. Thank God that He promises to never forsake me.
Thank God for the hope that is inside of me, offering me life and expectation always.

There is a song that I’ve been listening to nonstop the past couple of days. It is called, “Sing My Love”....and it makes me want to dance like a 5 year old because I get so happy when I listen to it. I’m so in love with God. He hasn’t left me in this pain. I can hope until the day I am with Him, dancing and singing my heart out...








1 comment:

  1. I just can't even imagine that kind of loss, or that kind of faith... what an incredible testimony!

    Still breaks my heart though. :(

    ReplyDelete