Friday, October 15, 2010

Brokenness








“Brokenness” 


violently separated into parts : shattered

: being irregular, interrupted, or full of obstacles :made weak or infirm :incomplete

I used the word “brokenness" to title a demo disc that I made a few years back. I thought I knew the fullness of what it meant back then. I had reached the point of being so completely shattered, that I didn’t think I could be broken anymore. 

But I was wrong. There is no limit to brokenness.

I found that I could be broken in my health. Broken in my dreams. Broken in my ambitions. Even broken in my stubbornness. And the list goes on.

Brokenness can become hopelessness. I realized that I could not “fix” my health or my life. I kept trying to hold all the remnants together, but it was becoming impossible. I was shattered beyond my own repair.  

Broken things can be seen as incomplete and ill, but I am still be valuable. Although at times I cannot imagine one ounce of worth coming from the heaping fragments of my life, I am priceless to God. 

“The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.” ~Psalm 51:17

God uses broken things. Broken people. Broken dreams. Even when we are broken beyond our own recognition, God can find us.

In my brokenness, I have called out to the Lord many times. It doesn’t matter how I become broken, He "does not despise”. 

In my sickness and infirmities, He scoops me up. 

As He gathers all the remnants and tears of my heart, He holds me close. 

And in my weakness and despair, He lifts me up.


“My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever~Psalm 73:26








No comments:

Post a Comment